Monday 1 August 2011

A wee jaunt down from Stanley

Raring to get on the river
Ken, happy to be in his boat again
When we found out there was to be a trip up to Stanley in July, we didn't sign up too quickly. It was my big birthday on the Friday, with Hubby Dear organising a family barbecue for the Saturday, however he obviously intended going as the boats and kit were in the car before the family arrived. Sunday arrived and I blearily crawled out of bed. We would meet the rest of the group at the river rather than the boat shed, anything for an extra 5 minutes in bed. Sunday was a glorious day and brought out probably the most paddlers I've seen on the Tay for a long time. Iain took his group off to coach them, while the rest of us headed up to the Linn for a play. Although this is now July, it's only the second time this year I've been up to this spot. I'm always a bit apprehensive when I first see the drop, especially when I've spent so much time in my sea boat lately.

Kris on the Linn
Steve in the Linn
Sarah coming through the Linn

Ken tailying
 My river boat always seems small in comparison. Once I'd been back and forward a few times, with lots of support strokes, I was a bit happier. We then headed down to the taily spot, I'm obviously getting too old now for tailies as I never managed any good ones, Ken faired better though. The others stopped for a bit of a break, while Ken and I headed down to the weir for a play. We managed a few good surfs, before the rest of the group arrived along with masses of other paddlers going through various assessments.

Sarah managing a surf

So is Ken
Kris too
Peek-a-boo
Peter
Iain on the weir
Down to Thistlebrig, where Iain asked me to lead Gordon (whose already had 3 swims) down. Off we went bobbing down, chatting to Gordon, when I turned round just in time to see him going plop overboard again. He seemed to be upside down for ages, but he did come out, just as we were coming up to the big, bumpy, frothy bit. I doofed through this backwards, while rafted up to Gordon's boat with Gordon hanging on in between. It's usually me getting rescued. A great day for a paddle and a great way to recover from the shock of being old!

No comments:

Post a Comment